I am starting to pack up my apartment...to move to another one in a couple weeks. Fortunately I'm moving practically across the street, but packing is still necessary. As I was looking through my 'memory box' from last year in the dorm I came across writing on a sheet of notebook paper and thought it was pretty cool. It's neat to look back and see what I was learning. So the following is from over a year ago.
How many times do we go on road trips in our lives? Remember how during childhood we would annoyingly ask our parents, "are we there yet?" I remember that my parents used to speak length of trips to me by referring to my favorite t.v. shows. Bridgeport is 1 Barney episode away. Moundsville is 1 sesame street and one barney episode away. HA! Except we didn't have portable DVD players like the kids do now. We actually would think in the car...or cry...depending on the day! :) But when we were children, we didn't take the time to look out the window for the little rectangular green signs that list the cities and how many miles are left until arrival. As adults, I think we internally as "are we there yet" but we know to look at the signs. And once we see a sign and the destination miles, we continue on our way (enjoying music, conversation, or the beautiful view outside).
Something I have been reflecting on is how our journeys in life are the same way. And actually, when I reflect on my dreams and goals and where God is leading me, these often resemble road trips. It seems to me that the journey to goals and journey in our prayer lives are similar to a road trip.
Sometimes God casts a vision or a dream in our minds, but we do not know the exact destination time (or where we have to go before we arrive), because God's timing is ultimately perfect! I see our journey as a road trip. We often get restless on the journey forward and wonder if we are still on the correct road or if we missed a turn. And I believe that God "pops up" a little rectangular green sign affirming the correct path (because of His wonderful Grace and love for us), while still leaving us in a place to wait - because we have x amount of miles ahead.
Another important concept to learn is that I AM NOT the driver! The Bible says to "Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed" Proverbs 16:3. I am not the 'certified driver', God is! How life-changing is that view of life? It is what God asks of us as his children when he says to his disciples, Luke 9:24 - For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.
Often I am unsure of ways to practically apply verses like that to my life. But I believe that surrendering control of our future and dreams is a huge way to allow God's truth to be applied to my life.
The road trip will not always be easy. It won't always be the beautiful blue, sunny day we all long for. Some days of waiting are rainy and stormy and feel like we can't see anything around us but the crazy downpour of rain (or pain)/ But we have an amazing promise from God in Romans 8:28 - And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. And that is the truth!
Hope you enjoyed the blast to my past...winter of 2007 (I think)!
Carrie :)
1 comment:
You never cease to amaze me. You are wise beyond your years Care. :) We love you so much!
Post a Comment