Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Jesus Loves Me

I would say that I am a perfectionist is some ways.  Not in all things, but there are times when I notice it more than others.  Unfortunately, the perfectionism in my life seems to be most common in the area of how I look/am perceived by others and how I feel about what I am doing/accomplishing.  The battle starts in my mind.  Then, it affects my behavior.  Tonight, I noticed myself striving - why?  I was trying to make up for other things that I saw in myself today (sin, ugliness, brokenness, weakness).  I noticed myself trying to 'earn' my salvation.  I try and fill my life with 'good deeds/accomplishment' to make up for the mistakes/failures.  Why? It's a terrible feeling to not measure up to the standard I am 'setting for myself'.  Yet, these thoughts and behaviors DO NOT reflect the Gospel. It is SIN.  What I was trying to do goes against everything that I am trying to teach and model to the teenagers in my life.  It's not about what we do - its about a relationship with Christ.  It's about HIS GRACE.  We could never earn our salvation because we are TOO broken.  Believing in Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to be saved.     

I was battling with that all day today in many areas.  I was constantly trying to remind myself of the Word 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in your weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)'.  Oh, I am thankful for His grace!  Sometimes I wonder if I fully believe this truth, though.  Because if I'm honest I despise when my weaknesses are exposed - and if I lived this verse out in truth, I would choose to rejoice in weaknesses. 

I came across this song tonight.  It sang such a simple truth to my heart. It reminded me of childlike faith.  It reminded me of a 'simpler' life.  It reminded me of home.  "Jesus Loves Me" will always remind me of the nursery at my church growing up.  I know I am loved by the Lord.  And I never did and never will do anything to deserve His Great love.  I must cling to and remember this truth.  Because I don't have the energy to strive to make up or fix the messes that I make.  Instead, I must turn to my Savior and Redeemer because he knows I am weak - and He is strong.

Jesus loves me, this I know.
For the Bible tells me so.

"But God demonstrated his own love for us in this, that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" Romans 5:8

ENJOY THE SONG: Jesus Loves Me by Christy Nockels
I pray that you and I would REST in His love!  He wants us to come to Him just as we are - not trying to fix ourselves or the messes we have made.  He has taken care of it all.  Cast all your cares on the Lord, he will sustain you, he will never let the righteous fall (Psalm 55:22).

1 comment:

Aly said...

What a blessing! " Because I don't have the energy to strive to make up or fix the messes that I make." Thanks, girl. :)