Thursday, August 18, 2011

A New Thing




So, I visited Morgantown on Sunday because I was kind of freaking out about this new season.  Of course I am really excited about this adventure - but the flip-side of excitement is fear and uncertainty.  And this whole "new thing" is a bit uncomfortable at times (like a lot).  I know that I should have the attitude of Isaiah 43:18-19 

 “Forget the former things;
   do not dwell on the past. 
See, I am doing a new thing!
   Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
   and streams in the wasteland. 

I do not think this means we cannot visit the people we love or remember the great things from the past - but don't "dwell" on it.  Don't long for it.  Don't convince yourself that the past was better than today.  Because God promises to make a way in the wilderness and is doing a NEW THING! Should we be excited about what is next? Yes. Should we be excited to see God continue to be faithful and show His awesome power and grace in the new circumstances of our lives?  Yes.  But, is it difficult to do when all that you know is in another town? Yes. It is a challenge to embrace change with joy and excitement, instead of fear and uncertainty. No matter what changes you are experiencing! 

One of my challenges has been figuring out what I will do for fun.  There are less places to go in Summersville - and I am going to have to be creative.  When I was in college and very busy, I had a list of "things I would love to do when I finally have free time".  Now is that time! So I was talking to my friend Shayna the other day and I had this thought: what i used to do for fun is now my job --- and so now what do I do for fun?!  Okay, I am not at all complaining about this statement.  I am beyond thankful to have a job that I am excited about and will enjoy (even though it will have challenges and difficulties)! However, I need to broaden my horizons when it comes to extracurricular activities or hobbies. I love reading so I look forward to having the time to read and journal.  But I want to find some new things to do, too.

Here are a few "new" things I did this week:
Baked my first Raspberry Pie 
It tasted pretty good if I do say so myself
The pie before it was baked :)

Went to a Kettlebell workout class at "The Gym"
I will be sore for the next few days
I guess I'm serious now...

Started to re-string my guitar
thanks youtube! 
Went to NCHS after school
It was the first of many times! :) 


A neat prayer by Jim Rayburn,
Founder of Young Life

“Dear Lord,
Give us the teenagers that we may lead them to Thee.
Our hearts ache for the millions of young people who remain untouched by the Gospel
 and for the tragically large proportion of those who have dropped by the wayside and find themselves without spiritual guidance.
Help us to give them a chance, oh Father, 
a chance to become aware of thy Son’s beauty and healing power in the might of the Holy Spirit.  
Oh, Lord Jesus, give us the teenagers, each one at least long enough for a meaningful confrontation with Thee.
We are at best unprofitable servants, but thy grace is sufficient.  
Oh, thou Holy Spirit, give us the teenagers.  For we love them and know them to be awfully lonely.  
Dear Lord, give us the teenagers.

Praying for the teenagers at NCHS and SMS who need to have an opportunity to hear about the love of Christ and the new life they can have by faith in Jesus Christ! 
NCHS scrimmage game last Saturday! Go Grizzlies :)

1 comment:

Alicia Marie said...

You are an inspiration! <3