Tuesday, June 14, 2011

What I'm Learning About:

FEAR of the FUTURE
...something I've been thinking a lot about over the last few years and more specifically the last few weeks due to the move and new life I am beginning in Summersville.  The battle in my mind has a lot to do with fearing future things.  Often it is fearing things that won't ever happen.  So my fears are irrational.  Yet, my mind has a way to take whatever the thought is, worry about it, make it feel like reality, and then be afraid of it.  It steals joy and I have learned that it is sin and rebellious.  It is a lack of TRUST in my God - My God who has continually proved Himself worthy of my complete trust.  It's horrible and I hate it.  However, it is a very real reality that comes at me from all directions.  I worry before I even realize that I am worrying.

The TRUTH is:
          Matthew 6:34 commands us to "not worry about tomorrow".  Matthew 10:26-33 says we should not fear because we have more worth than the sparrows that do not fall without our Father being aware of it.  All over the Bible, God commands us "Do not fear".  Jesus even called out His disciples saying, "Oh you of little faith" as He calmed the storm they were afraid would kill them while in the presence of Jesus Christ Matthew 8:26. Even though I know these things - I still fear.  I imagine that Jesus could say to me so many times a day, "Carrie, you of little faith, why are you worrying about that again?"

A Few Things I Have LEARNED:
     *Fearing the future is wasting precious energy and time (Paul tells us to pray instead of worrying in Philippians 4:6-7)
     *Fearing the future is not thinking about what is TRUE & real (Philippians 4:8) - but is instead thinking and believing lies about what may or may not happen later
     *When I worry about what 'might happen' - I am worrying about something that I don't have the strength for yet.  God promises He is with us always - but when I worry about tomorrow - I am running ahead what I've been given. Just as God provided enough manna for the Israelites for EVERY DAY, I believe God provides us the spiritual nourishment, encouragement, strength, and support we need for each day.  So when we step outside today, we aren't ready for it yet.  I have seen evidence of this in my life many times.  Have you?  

{Check out Exodus 16 if you aren't familiar with the story about the Israelites and the manna.  It's pretty cool!}

The LIFELONG CHALLENGE Is:
Take captive every thought & think about what is true! (2 Corinthians 10:5 & Philippians 4:8).  I hope that I continue to recognize when I am worrying about things I cannot control and instead TRUST God with the future.  After all I want to be like David from Psalm 31:14-15
14 But I am trusting you, O Lord,
      saying, “You are my God!”
 15 My future is in your hands.
      Rescue me from those who hunt me down relentlessly.
Random picture from: Mexico 2011 

No comments: